Image: Dreamstime Stock Photos
Introduction to Music Marketing
Music marketing is important today for a budding musician to become successful. Producing great music is no longer enough to get noticed. You need to use proper marketing strategies if you want to make an impression in the music industry. But what is music marketing? To put it simply, it is strategically promoting or advertising your music. If you are someone who is doing the marketing for an aspiring musician, you must find ways to inform people about the new talent.
Like marketing other things, music marketing also involves the smart use of social media, building PR, releasing advertisements, and so on. A musician can use many strategies to make their creation get noticed by the masses. However great your music is, without proper marketing, it may be a complete flop because very few people will know about it.
You do not have to attend college for getting a music marketing degree. You can easily teach yourself music marketing. Be on the best music marketing platforms like YouTube, Instagram, Tiktok, etc. where you can market your music for free.
6 Best music marketing strategies for budding musicians
After you are done with writing your songs or producing your music, chalk up a marketing strategy for introducing them to the world with a bang. Today, a large volume of new music is released each and every day. Hundreds of aspiring singers are trying to break into the scene.
Therefore, if you do not know how to market your music properly, you will not be able to build or connect with any audience. You must use strategic thinking in deciding the release of your songs. Tip: Include emotional songs because they are personal in nature and many people will be able to relate to the emotion and connect with you.
Get started on your marketing plan by using these strategies:
- Identify your fanbase. Find out who are your fans and where they are. You must gather information about your fans to build a wide audience. This includes finding out about your audience’s age, location, and the websites they are on. Use analytics to target your audience. Use the data available on social media to learn the demographics of your fans. Finding out about their interests and what they search for will help you connect with them. You should target an audience who is interested in the genre of music you produce,
- Indulge in Competitor Analysis. Before analyzing the music industry market, you must identify your main rivals. Then note what makes you stand apart from them. These features will be your USP. Chalk out your music marketing plan after studying the current music industry. Also, notice what marketing strategies your competitors are using. Examine their online presence and enlist their strengths and weaknesses.
- Build your website. In spite of the presence of all the social media platforms and streaming services, having a music website is very important. It is an important brand-building tool. Your website is your portfolio where you display your best works for the world to enjoy. It is very easy to build a website using the various website-building websites available on the internet! So create your website to connect with your audience. Tell who you are, sell your music, and share all kinds of relevant information your fans might be interested in.
- Create social media accounts. You must register on as many social media channels as possible. These are the best places to market your music. Create an interesting profile and set up business accounts wherever possible. Remember that talent hunters like music directors often search social media platforms when scouting for fresh talents.
- Maintain physical presence. While focusing on digital marketing, don’t forget to be at events and play. As musicians, being present at places where the audience can enjoy live music is important too. Try to land gigs at different places and events. It may be at a popular local pub, but even a small gig can play its part in making you famous. Even Ed Sheeran and Lady Gaga are marketing their music at pubs! Display your talent at fundraisers and private events whenever possible.
- Release advertisements. Online advertisements are not as expensive as online ads. Moreover, paid ads are the best way of reaching the audience organically. There are platforms where you can create your advertisement at an affordable rate. Boost your reach using tools like Google Ads, YouTube Ads, and Facebook Business Manager. Online ads will bring people to your websites and increase your bookings.
On a final note
As a musician who is new to the scene, the idea of having to start music marketing may seem intimidating. But once you get started with the process and understand how it can propel you toward success, you will not hesitate in doing some marketing. When you want to earn your bread and butter through your music, you have to see it as your business too. Any business is extremely unlikely to survive without having a marketing plan in place. So use all the tools that are easy to use like YouTube and Instagram and materialize your dream of being a successful musician.